Little North Road Book
"On a bridge in Guangzhou, Daniel Traub encountered a Chinese photographer who specialized in taking portraits of Africans living in the city. Intrigued by this surreal combination, he photographed the surrounding streets and activity. In the book, he added folios of the portraits taken by Wu Yong Fu and Zeng Xian Fang, his collaborator. This, together with an interview with the photographers, contributes to one of the most surprising and engaging books of the year."
– Martin Parr
"Daniel Traub brings a unique, visual approach to this story, finding a rare human-scale perspective on the shifting tectonic plates of global relations. . . The combination of Traub's expository images and the cast of characters introduced via Wu and Zeng sets the stage for a compelling larger narrative." – Lesley A. Martin, Aperture
Title: Little North Road | Africa in China
Author: Daniel Traub
Photographs by Wu Yongfu, Zeng Xianfang and Daniel Traub
Edited by Daniel Traub and Robert Pledge
176 pages / 117 color plates / 21 x 27,8 cm
Essays by Barbara Pollack, Roberto Castillo, Robert Pledge and Daniel Traub
Designed by Masumi Shibata
Published by Kehrer Verlag
Little North Road is a photographic collaboration that looks at a pedestrian bridge in the middle of Guangzhou. The bridge serves as a symbolic gateway into China from Africa. At the heart of this project is a selection of images collected from two Chinese itinerant portrait photographers, Wu Yongfu and Zeng Xianfang. Equipped with digital cameras, they have made a living making portraits for Africans and other groups who wanted a memento of their time in China. Daniel Traub’s photographs on the bridge and immediate vicinity explore the broader dynamics of the area and provide a context through which to see these portraits.Read book introduction –
AWARDS + HONORS
- 2016 Paris Photo-Aperture photo book of the year–Short-list
- 2016 Lucie Award–Nominee
- TIME Magazine–Best Photobooks of 2016
- Martin Parr–Photobooks of 2016
- Lensculture–Photobooks of 2016
- L'Oeil De La Photographie, "Finding Vernacular Photography inside the Chocolate City," Jean Loh, June 21, 2017
- The Art Newspaper, "Images of African Community Challenge Racism in China," Lisa Movius, June 15, 2017.
- PRI's The World, "You don't hear much about Africans in China. These photos say a lot." Stephen Snyder, November 29, 2016.
- Fortune, "The Global Economy on Little North Road, " Mia Diehl, June, 2016.
- CCTV America, "Award-winning photo book shows African immigrants in China," Hendrik Sybrandy, October 31, 2016